At Coldcroft Farm we have our own working Shire horses.
They are used to maintain the land and pasture. This includes harrowing, rolling and topping, moving heavy loads and felled timber, muck spreading and doing the hay harvest each year.
They also provide very useful transportation to the local pub!
These magnificent animals are the largest horse breed in the world.
Our working horses are Millie and Willam.
Millie is so laid back, gentle and calm. She's the ideal companion for everyone: from people who are experienced around horses to someone who has never even touched a horse before!
Willam is our big gelding, he's a gentle giant too but better suited for working with someone who has previous experience of horses. He's also my personal riding horse and closest friend.
Our Shire Horse Experience
The training days are provided by Coldcroft Shires. They are ideally suited for up to two people.
You will experience a range of activities which can include:
- Calling the horses in from the field - we use an old school bell.
- Preparing the stable with feed and water
- Grooming and general care
- Learning about the harness - how it fits onto the horse and what each part does.
- Basic long reining techniques and practising these in the sand school.
- Working your horse out in the fields doing seasonally appropriate work - for example, this might be chain harrowing or moving felled timber.
- Washing down your horse and preparing them for their evening off
You will also learn about the history of the Shire horse in peace time and war and the types of work the horses do in field and forest.
For whole day guests lunch is with the family in the farmhouse (the horses like a lunch break too!). No charge (please advise of allergies in advance).
Alternatively, bring a packed lunch with you.
Hot or cold drinks included throughout the day.
Life is relaxed and calm at Coldcroft.
We want you to enjoy yourself so much you want to come back for more.
Your experience with the Shire horses is tailored to what you would like to do combined with both your previous experience and how you get on during the day.
This can be discussed fully at the time of booking.
Horse and Cart ride
Cart rides through the beautiful west Gloucestershire countryside are available upon request by Coldcroft Shires.
Prices depend upon number of passengers and length of cart ride desired. Please make contact to discuss your wishes.
For our holiday cottage guests either at the Farm or in local camp sites on May Hill area, a taxi service by horse and cart can deliver you to a local pub for lunch and collect you afterwards.
Please ask for details at time of booking.
We are fully insured and all necessary protective clothing is provided.
Training (maximum of 2 people)
- Full day: £200 per person
- Half day: £100 per person
Shire Horse Experiences (maximum of 4 people)
- The experiences we offer can be anything from a quick visit to meet the Shire horses, give them a groom and a cuddle to a short experience having a hands-on session long reining one of them in the school or, maybe, a short cart ride around the farm. We can put together an experience to suit your budget, so please contact us to discuss further and get prices.
Horse & Cart ride, with afternoon tea (maximum of 4 people)
- £40 per person, minimum of 2 people. 1 hour cart ride plus afternoon tea.